Thursday 6 March 2008

Romeo's Soliloquy

Imagine the scene: teenagers Romeo and Juliet, born of violently opposed families, have fallen madly in love. Realizing their fate, arrange to meet in secret at the church to marry and elope, but as Juliet makes her way there, news arrives that Romeo has been killed in battle with her brother. Heartbroken, she takes a poison that will make her appear dead for a short time (till her parents have been), then she will wake up. Romeo arrives at the church expecting to find Juliet waiting for wedlock, but instead, finds her apparently dead. And this is where my soliloquy begins...

"The universe, spectacularly aligned to seal my fate!
Pierced by longing, like a worm boring through a heart content,
now the dull throb of a once-sprained leg
which no hands can restore to vigour.

A hunger growing, cancerous, expanding,
replacing healthy tissue with emptiness -
nay, not inactive emptiness but active yearning,
searing longing for that which the Gods deny me!

Why I? The hail of each sore with life -
why this flesh so cursed and tortured must be?
What folly shall I have raised?
What immortal displeasure have I incurred,
that I must suffer and writhe in the agony of my remaining?

And why she? Can Gods not be patient too, but missing her,
they expend their omnipotence in theiving souls too soon from this world,
Why must she tatse the wine of such untimely ends?
Why she, be so tortured and wanting of esteem
that such apothecary only solace could lend?
What cause, great Gods, be so urgent as her theft can fulfil,
while earth moans and souls die at her demise?

And less of Gods, yet what of I, my soul - or the ash that remains,
whose lifeless, greying mass no form entrusts?
Is life henceforth?
Can breath hold true, for seems me, there is less air tonight.
Was ever point or sense or cause to wage the ongoing war of continuance,
when ere was joy and laughter sweet as birdsong,
now gives way to the thundering quiet of loneliness.

These lips I press once more 'gainst mine.
Erst pink as roses, now bilberry blue and icicles on a face -
how swiftly life is sucked away through those fading eyes
as death takes on life breathing its silence into once reverberating lung.

Sweet Juliet, in my heart already wife, now distant, tragic torn from this scene,
make space for me where torment no longer grinds.
With wide arms greet me, with flowing hair as branches on a spring bough
welcome me, sweet Juliet.

Be swift my sword, oh merciful steel, thy cold, uncaring hilt to my bosom press!
Rejoice, oh my heart, take place again with your love,
as phoenix rising from the flame, I swear, love will live again!
and in dying, is love reborn on wings of eternity -
on bright bounteous wings together we at last shall fly!"

No comments: